Do you know how to keep your surfboard safe? Do you travel a lot with your surfboard? Have you considered investing in a board bag? Here is everything you need to know about how to buy the best board bag online.
Why Is It Important To Have A Board Bag?
Surfboards or bodyboards do not come cheap. For most people out there it’s a significant investment and nobody wants their hard earned money to go waste. A board bag does not cost much and will keep your investment safe. Here are a few more reasons why you need to buy a bag today.
1. It protects your board from nicks and dings.
2. The UVA and UVB which is part of sunlight can delaminate your board and you do not want that. Having a cover over the board will protect it from the harmful sunlight and keep it insulated and protected.
3. If your board remains out there in the sun for too long it will start losing its colours.
4. When your board is in the bag, it will remain safe if you accidentally drop it, and you are going to drop it here and there no matter how careful you are.
5. It will protect your board from scratches.
6. If you travel a lot with your board, a good quality travel bag will keep it safe from the rough handling during travel.
Types Of Board Bags
Surfboard bags can be categorised into 4 different types including:
This is exactly what you think it is. It is a thin covering which is the most basic protection you can buy. It doesn’t have any padding which means no extra protection but it’s better than nothing at all.
- Lots of designs
- Easy storage
- Large number of options
- Minimal protection
- Made of thin material
2. Day Bags
These are sold with thin as well as thick padding. The thinly padded boards are typically 5 mm in thickness whereas extra thickness bags have around 10 – 25 mm of thickness/padding. The day bags are a nice option for keeping your board safe.
- Extra-padded protection
- Available in a wide range of sizes and shapes
- Usually do not have zippers or shoulder straps
- Typically do not have interior or exterior pockets
3. Travel Bags
As the name suggests, these are the bags that have been designed specifically for travel. If you have ever travelled with your surfboard or bodyboard you would know how your board gets treated by the airline staff. They just throw it around without too much care. It’s up to you to keep it safe and a travel bag can help you with that.
- Offers excellent level of protection
- Typically capable of carrying more than one board
- These tend to be bulky and heavy
- Cost a lot more
4. Tombs And Coffins
These are the top of the line bags you can buy for a board. These are typically capable of carrying 3 to 4 boards and provide the best travel convenience.
- Most convenient
- Capable of carrying multiple boards
- Easy to carry
- Most expensive
- Heavy and bulky
Things You Need To Consider When Buying A Board Bag Online
1. Padding – Make sure it has enough high-density foam padding to keep the board safe from dents and scratches. Get a bag that has at least 10 mm thick padding but if your budget allows, try and get thicker padding. It is also recommended to buy a bag that has extra padding on the sides and the nose.
2. Material Quality – Pay special attention to the fabric from which the bag is made. Ripstop and woven fabrics tend to be the toughest and lightest. It is also recommended to ensure buying a bag with high-quality nylon zippers as these are resistant to corrosion.
3. Shoulder Straps – It’s nice to have shoulder straps, especially if you travel a lot.
4. Design and Weight – The bag should be wide at the bottom and should have some extra pockets to allow you to store your valuables such as phones or keys. Some designs also have space for storing bulky items such as a wetsuit. Try to buy a bag that has all the features you want and is the lightest.
Carrying your board around without any protection, even if it is minimal protection in the form of a board sock, is an open invitation to dents, cracks and scratches. If you mistakenly leave it out in the sun, it could lead to loss of lamination and that will cost you a lot of money as this can’t be fixed at home. So, pay attention to the tips mentioned above and buy a bag that is perfect for your board and level of activity.
Beachin Surf offers a wide variety of surfing essentials. We have board bags, clothing, footwear, accessories, wetsuits, surfboards, and surf hardware. We are more than happy to help you with your surfing journey.
For more watch options and other surfing essentials, visit us at 262 Maine Road, Toukley, NSW. You can also call ahead to make sure we get to assist you properly.
Please call us today on (02) 4396 5159 or feel free to send us an inquiry.